SECTION 12 – PRA HARDTOPS (2020 Season)
1. Limited to 1928 thru 1948 American or Canadian coupes and sedans
2. Sedan bodies may be shortened a reasonable amount, subject to Tech Committee approval.
3. All bodies must be of steel construction and stock appearing with a minimum height of 60 inches from the ground to the top of the body.
4. Must be steel from the beltline up.
5. All bodies must have a hood that covers the top of the radiator and carburetor with no openings thru the hood panel.
6. Forming of body panels to act as a spoiler, wing or air dam, whether inside or outside of the body, is strictly prohibited. Any cooling ducts must be individually approved by the Tech Committee
7. Windshield opening must be fully screened or have Lexan installed from post to post. NO GLASS OR PLASTIC IS PERMITTED ON THE VEHICLE.
8. Rear view mirrors are optional.
9. All cars are to be neatly painted and lettered and similar in appearance to those competing in the 1950s.
1. All cars must be constructed on an OEM steel frame, but not necessarily make for make. Minimum wheelbase specification is 100". Rectangular tubing may be used from the center of the front axle to the front bumper and from the center of the rear axle to the rear bumper. No rectangular tubing is permitted in the main frame rails between the front and rear axles.
2. Minimum allowable weight is 2300lbs with the driver in the vehicle
3. All cars must have a steel leaf spring suspension system in both the front and rear of the vehicle. Solid axles only; no independent suspension systems permitted. Front axle and front suspension system must be mounted on a stock type front cross member. No suicide or racing type front suspension systems permitted. Aluminum front hubs are prohibited.
4. All cars must have one working shock absorber per wheel. No coil-over, or air shocks permitted.
5. No rack and pinion steering systems permitted. No steering quickeners.
6. Engine must be centered between and mounted perpendicular to the frame rails. Stock engine angle. Engine lay down is not permitted.
7. 2" maximum chassis offset, measured from the center of the frame rails and center of the axles
12-C. ENGINES & FUEL SYSTEMS
1. Any American or Canadian in-line, 6-cylinder or flat head V-8 engine permitted. Engine displacement is limited to those engines with 300 cubic inches, plus any over bore to restore cylinders to operational condition. Total displacement not to exceed 310 cubic inches. No overhead camshaft engines allowed.
2. Radical engine setbacks are not permitted. 4 spark plugs must be in front of the original stock firewall location. 3.5" minimum clearance between engine oil pan and ground. 13.5" center crankshaft height at the front of the engine to the ground. The center of the vibration damper cannot exceed 8" behind the center of the front axle.
3. Induction systems for 6-cylinder engines are limited to 1 single barrel carburetor on a stock, cast-iron intake, single barrel manifold, as supplied by the original manufacturer. Flat head V-8 engines may use a stock, cast-iron, two barrel intake manifold. Porting and polishing of intake and exhaust systems is permitted. Spacers are limited to 2" in maximum height on the low side.
4. Carburetors are limited to 1 stock production American or Canadian downdraft unit with a 2" round throttle plate for 6-cylinder engines. Carburetors for flat head V-8 or 6-cylinder engines are limited to 1 stock production two barrel unit.
5. All overhead valve engines must use an original style, mechanical fuel pump mounted on the block in the original, stock position. Flat head V-8 or flat head 6-cylinder engines may use an electric fuel pump. The fuel pump must turn off with ignition switch.
6. All engines must use gasoline as the required fuel. Racing gasoline or octane improving additives are permitted.
7. All fuel lines will be "bubbled" where they connect to a flexible hose and a clamp placed behind
the bubble to insure positive retention of the flexible line.
8. Fuel cells must be strapped in trunk area and the trunk area must be sealed off from the rest of the
car. Fuel cells must meet or exceed SFE Specification 28-2.
9. Any manner of internal engine modification is permitted as long as maximum cubic inch
displacement is not exceeded.
10. Any type exhaust system is permitted but noise level must not exceed local DB meter
requirements. Mufflers re required on all vehicles in competition. Exhaust pipes must extend
behind the driver and exhaust gases must be directed away from the vehicle.
11. All vehicles in competition must be equipped with a stock type, block mounted starter and the
starter must be activated from inside the driver's compartment. Push starts, except under
emergency conditions, are not allowed.
12. All engines must be equipped with a stock-type distributor, either conventional point type or HEI
style. Magneto type ignition systems are prohibited.
12-D. FLYWHEELS, CLUTCHES, DRIVESHAFTS, AND TRANSMISSIONS
1. All cars in competition must be equipped with a disc clutch only. Aftermarket clutches are
permitted. Aluminum flywheels are permitted.
2. Clutch release mechanisms must operate from within the drivers compartment; may be foot or
3. All cars must be equipped with a scatter shield or suitable belting, 1/4" thick, to cover the bell
housing and flywheel area. Vehicles using an automatic transmission must have an approved
transmission blanket installed around the transmission.
4. Any 3 or 4 speed transmission is permitted. Automatic transmissions are permitted with complete
STOCK converters. All transmissions must have a functional reverse gear.
5. All drive shafts must have a 360-degree loop securely fastened to the frame structure and located
behind the front universal joint. The strap is to be constructed from 1/4" minimum thickness by 1"
wide steel. All drive shafts must be painted white.
6. Quick-change rear end are prohibited as are V.R.T quick-change boxes. All vehicles must use
stock production drive train components only.
12-E. WHEELS AND TIRES
1. Any used 8" tire, 800 series (e.g. 8x27x15), or G60 tire. Only new tire allowed will be American
Racer 970 (8x27x15 & 8x26.5x15) and must be purchased at Douglas County Speedway.
2. No alterations of any kind are permitted to the tire tread. Tires must be as originally produced by
3. Only steel wheels are permitted in competition. Maximum width permitted is 10"
12-F. SAFETY RULES
1. It is mandatory for all cars in competition to be equipped with a roll cage. Main roll bar must be 1-
1/2" minimum diameter and cross-braced with corner gussets. Wall thickness is a minimum of 1/8"
for pipe, or .095" for tubing used for all bars in roll cage. 3 door bars are required on the driver's
side and at least 2 on the passenger's side, placed as close as possible to the outside perimeter of
the vehicle. 2 upright bars are required between each door bar. 1 bar located on each side of the
main cage, must be extended from the top portion of the roll cage to the rear of the frame. A
diagonal bar or front to rear bar on top of the roll cage is required. The roll cage must be arc
welded to the frame at 6 points. The main cage must be drilled in four randomly located positions
with a 1/8" drill bit to allow for inspection of cage thickness. Driver’s position must be within the
confines of the roll cage.
2. All doors must be securely fastened to the body
3. All cars must have full and complete floor boards and firewalls, both at the front and rear of the
4. The seat must be welded or bolted to the roll cage and not the floor boards. A padded headrest for
the driver is mandatory.
5. Main seat belt and shoulder harness must be of approved racing design and 3" minimum width. It
is recommended that seat belts and harnesses be replaced on a regular basis.
6. Batteries must be well secured and outside of the driver's compartment.
7. A 2-1/2 dry chemical or Halon fire extinguisher must be within easy reach of the driver. Said fire
extinguisher must have a valid, current refill sticker in plain sight. On-board fire systems are
permitted. In addition, it is a requirement that each pit area have its own fire extinguisher.
8. Radiator catch cans must be securely mounted outside the driver's compartment.
9. Only hydraulic brakes are permitted on these vehicles; may be either drum or disc or any
combination of the two. Applying the brakes must stop all four wheels.
10. It is mandatory that all drivers in competition use a Snell 00 approved helmet and fire retardant
driving suit. Suits may be either 1 or 2 piece.
11. Open top cars are required to have and use window nets and/or arm restraints to be worn by the
driver while in competition. YOU WILL NOT RACE WITHOUT THEM.
12. Driver's side window nets are required.
All cars must be inspected by the tech/safety committee before competing in a race. The committee's decision
will be final. Any modification which could be considered in violation of an existing rule, must be pre-approved
by the tech/safety committee before the car is allowed in competition