IF IT DOESN’T SAY YOU CAN, YOU CAN’T!!
SECTION 10 – HORNET (2020 Season)
10-A. ELIGIBLE MODELS
1. Vehicle must remain factory stock. These cars are intended to be cars that we race, not racecars
2. Any 2wd car or pickup with maximum wheelbase of 104” with a complete stock engine, body, frame, and suspension for that year, make and model. Any vehicle over 104” wheelbase must be pre-approved. No modifications, alterations, or additions allowed unless specified in section 11-B
3. Ride height must remain stock.
4. three (3) or four (4)-cylinder only. No rotary or mid-engines. Naturally aspirated only
5. Stock carburetor/fuel injection system and air intake for that year, make and model required.
6. Stock transmission and stock unaltered front/rear end for that year, make and model required. No posi-trac or locked differentials allowed.
7. Third brake light, if originally equipped, must be functional.
8. Instrument cluster, steering, and pedals must remain stock for that year, make and model.
9. No bracing anywhere except inside the drivers compartment or otherwise stated in these rules.
10. Exhaust must be leak free and extend behind the driver with a functional muffler in place.
11. No removal of inner metal panels, with exception of inner door skins, for roll cage purposes only.
10-B. MODIFICATIONS ALLOWED AND/OR REQUIRED
a. Any DOT legal highway tire with minimum 380 treadwear rating and minimum 60 series
b. No racing type OR traction tires allowed
2. Wheels ..
a. OEM/Stock wheels preferred
b. Aftermarket wheels allowed with max 1-inch offset from stock wheel.
c. Max 6” width .All 4 wheels must match. (size and offset)
d. Basset or Aero wheels not allowed.
3. Oversized wheel studs on right front spindle allowed.
4. Factory ride attitude must be maintained
5. Front bumper area may be rebuilt to stock specifications with materials of stock type or equivalent.. Any rebuilt front bumper area or core support shall be a maximum of three (3) vertical bars consisting of ¾” maximum square or round tubing with maximum thickness of .065” with a maximum of three (3) horizontal bars consisting of ¾” maximum square or round tubing with a maximum of .065” thickness. Factory Bumper Cover must be in place
6. Camber + or - 3' degrees.
7. Radiator Reinforcement
a. 3 vertical bars consisting of 1' maximum square and or round tubing. from bumper to bottom support and from bumper to upper support
10-C. GAS TANK
1. If stock gas tank is forward of rear axle, it may remain in place.
2. If stock gas tank is behind rear axle, it must be replaced or contained in the trunk area as far forward as possible and enclosed on all 4 sides and top with minimum 18-gauge sheet metal and filled with foam between fuel tank and metal container. It is highly recommended that this fuel container be replaced with a commercially produced fuel cell. All fuel container applications must meet tech approval.
3. Two front rear straps on top and around bottom of fuel cell or approved container are mandatory.
4. One side-to-side strap will be required in the same fashion as the front to rear straps for fuel cell use.
5. Fuel cell/tank straps will be made of a minimum ¾” metal flat strap.
10-D. ROLL BAR
1. A minimum six-point roll cage is mandatory.
2. Minimum 1.50” O.D. roll cage tubing with a minimum thickness of .095 wall.
3. Gussets required on all 90-degree joints.
4. Cage must have a minimum of three (3) door bars on the driver’s side and two (2) on the passenger side.
5. ¼” inspection hole to be provided in the main bar.
6. Any bar within driver’s reach while belted into the seat will be padded with industry standard roll bar padding.
7. Uni-body: Roll cage must be securely fastened to the floorboards by welding 1/8” thick minimum plate, 4” x 8” or 6” x 6” on top and/or underneath the floorboards using 3/8” bolts per mounting, or cage may be directly integrated into the sub frame at all main points with full circumference welds.
8. Driver’s cage door bars plate needs to be 1/8” steel welded, back main hoop post to front hoop post, top to bottom, front to back.
9. No roll bars or bracing in front of firewall
10. Windshield may remain if in good condition or may be replaced by Lexan or screen with max 1" x 1" holes. All other glass must be removed.
11. One interior mirror is allowed
12. All Doors must be welded, bolted or chained shut. No less than 3” x ¼” steel flat strap extending past the front and rear door seams in the middle of the door skin. The purpose of the strap is to not only keep the door closed but to provide some impact resistance. It is highly recommended that more than one of these straps be installed. Flat grader blade materials are highly recommended as strap material.
13. Must remove factory hood latch. Hoods must be secured with 2 hood pins with factory hinges remaining. If factory hinges are removed/broken, you must have hood pins in all 4 corners. Under hood insulation must be removed.
14. All combustible materials must be removed from interior (exception: dash is optional but see 11-A #8 above
15. Airbags must be removed.
10-E. BALLAST/BATTERIES/FIRE CONTROL
1. Batteries must be located behind driver’s seat in a sealed container secured to floor with metal straps. Must have battery disconnect switch within easy reach on driver’s side.
2. See other General Safety Requirements section 3-B
10-F. SAFETY ITEMS
1. See General Safety Requirements section 3-B for racecar/driver requirements.
2. Head and Neck Restraints, such as the HANS device, Hutchens, Simpson or G-Force are highly recommended.
1. No two-way radios. Raceivers are required.
1. Different type of novelty events may be run at the discretion of PRA or Track Officials. You will be expected to compete in these events. Direction event is run may change. Refusal to participate in novelty events may result in loss of points earned that night. This is a beginner, entry level class for learning and fun. No tolerance will be given to those, whom do not compete in the spirit of the class.
10-I. CLAIM RULE
Be advised all cars are subject to be claimed at every race for $1000.00 by PRA. The driver may keep their battery, seat and belts. If PRA makes a claim, the car will remain at the speedway that night. If the claim is refused by the driver, the car and the driver will be banned from running in that class for one (1) year.
10-J. Additional Rule Packages Allowed
You may also run the 2020 IMCA Sport Compact Rule package as well, but it must be one or the other. To view the rules for that package, click here